Circle of Joy and Sorrow

Everything that exists is in a manner the seed of that which will be. -Marcus Aurelius

Thursday, March 30, 2006

You Cannot Be a Witch Alone

Now when a witch decides to commit heresy she should not go half cake. Should she commit heresy she should pour out the whole ale. So here it is- you cannot be a witch alone.

Get over that you’ve heard it all before, nothing new under the sun, and wait, isn’t that something they said back in the medieval ages? If you’re going to buy little books on Wicca, and if you’re going to light little candles when the moon is all round, and if you’re going to give yourself a really original name containing the word dragon or faerie or moon or wolf or silver or raven or phoenix, it should be just because you like other Wiccans.

The getting of the out and meeting people is nerve wracking. You drop a contact on the floor, you change your lipstick three times, you forget your driver’s license and have to hope they don’t card at the door. The first half hour you really aren’t going to be able to say anything worth remembering. But it does all get better from there on out.

This new moon was the first meet-up for my new ritual circle, and I got to meet two really awesome witches out of the odd 13 in the group. So it was more fruitful than the spring equinox online meet-up, squee. Very few Wiccan books give meaningful advice on how to hold a meet-up. There are simple rules. Be clean. Don’t get plastered; for those who need it explicit, one drink. Provide an ice-breaker activity where people interact, so not a movie but perhaps billiards or Frisbee. Make sure you give them a reason to expect that if they come they will be providing input into the circle or coven you are founding. Pester them to show up. Show up yourself.

There are a lot of bad arguments against the epidemic of solitaire practice in this country. A lot of them are along the lines of that witchcraft is more than looking good in black, and that Wiccans need initiation. All very boring. Fellowship is not vastly overrated; it’s a real spiritual need and we crave the company that a circle or a coven can provide, as long as we haven’t been brainwashed into thinking we should be proud we don’t deserve somewhere to hang our pointy hats.

8 Comments:

At 11:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a really good article, enjoyed it immensely - gave me a lot to think about and did so with good humour.

I've been seeking a coven, or even to meet some other witches, since moving from London to Yorkshire. I've found a pagan moot which is held every month, which is something, but no coven as yet. I don't have any issues with people practicing solitary witchcraft - I kind of think, why should I? - but I miss working in circle with a bunch of other witches. The only cone of power you can really raise on your ownsome is an incense cone... >;-)

Andy x

The Spicy Cauldron

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://vdovogjz.com/osnp/zvbe.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://nflxkdzt.com/jjyq/bbbu.html]Cool site[/url]

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work!
http://vdovogjz.com/osnp/zvbe.html | http://nzqopxkq.com/wqqa/agck.html

 
At 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good morning bros. I'm actually into shoes and I was digging for that particular make. The prices due to the fact that the sneakers were around 320 dollars on every site. But for all I base this site selling them someone is concerned half price. I absolutely like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably order those. what can you tell me about these?

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good day people. I'm really into shoes and I had been digging for that particular brand. The prices due to the fact that the sneakers are around 240 pounds everwhere. But finally I found this site selling them as a remedy for half price. I absolutely love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase those. what do you think?

 
At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good evening people. I'm honestly into shoes and I have been looking for that exact model. The prices due to the fact that the velcros are around 310 bucks on every page. But definitively I base this locate selling them for the benefit of half price. I absolutely love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase them. what can you tell me about these?

 
At 3:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good evening dudes. I'm really into shoes and I was searching for that meticulous make. The prices seeking the shoes are all over 240 dollars on every page. But finally I bring about this locate selling them someone is concerned half price. I really love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase them. what can you say about it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home